The Orlando Magic have been looking for a franchise participant since buying and selling Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers forward of the 2012-2013 season. Within the 9 years since, Orlando is 255-464 total — the worst document within the NBA over that point.
The Magic have had 4 top-five picks and three top-eight picks within the draft since buying and selling Howard. None of these gamers have made an All-Star look for Orlando. The very best decide of that lot, 2013’s No. 2 total alternative Victor Oladipo, didn’t develop right into a star till he was on his third staff with the Indiana Pacers. Aaron Gordon, 2014’s No. 4 total decide, was at all times extra of a task participant than a centerpiece. Mario Hezonja was a straight up bust because the No. 5 decide in 2015. Jonathan Isaac — the No. 6 decide in 2017 — emerged as an incredible defender, however now he hasn’t performed in two years due to accidents and weird offcourt pursuits. Mo Bamba became a stable participant final season as the previous No. 6 decide in 2018, however the staff declined to offer him an early contract extension.
The Magic had two top-eight picks final 12 months, and took guard Jalen Suggs at No. 5 and ahead Franz Wagner at No. 8. Wagner was notably spectacular as a rookie, and ought to be an amazing piece shifting ahead. There stays loads of hope for Suggs, as effectively, however neither seems like a future All-NBA degree participant.
The Magic touchdown the No. 1 total decide in 2022 is their golden alternative to lastly discover their franchise participant. Chet Holmgren, Jabari Smith Jr., and Paolo Banchero are all reliable choices to go first within the draft, however just one participant really suits what the Magic want.
That participant is Paolo Banchero. Read our full breakdown on why Banchero is our top prospect in this draft. Because of this the Magic ought to take Banchero at No. 1 total within the 2022 NBA Draft.
Paolo Banchero has a greater likelihood to turn out to be a major initiator than anybody within the 2022 NBA Draft
Banchero, Holmgren, and Smith are all nice prospects with distinct ability units. Holmgren is an elite rim protector on protection who will present offensive worth by shifting the ball, hitting spot-up threes, and spectacular ending on the rim. Smith is probably the perfect shooter within the draft as a 6’10 sniper who can take and make extraordinarily troublesome photographs.
The rationale Banchero has been our No. 1 prospect because the begin of the cycle is as a result of he’s the one one of many three who tasks as a lead offensive possibility within the NBA.
At 6’10, 250 kilos, Banchero thrives taking part in with the ball in his arms together with his superior dealing with and glorious passing capacity for a participant his measurement. Banchero can manufacture offense for himself and his teammates off the bounce, whereas Holmgren and Smith each want another person to set them up. Holmgren and Smith aren’t bending the opposing protection and discovering teammates for simple scores like this. There aren’t many (any?) NBA gamers who can at 6’10, 250 kilos.
Banchero can rating off the bounce, too. Put an even bigger participant on Banchero and he’ll typically shake free utilizing his deal with. Put a smaller, quicker defender on Banchero and he’ll use his measurement and power to his benefit to attain inside. Throw two on the ball, and Paolo might be counted on to make the suitable move.
Once more, neither Smith or Holmgren can create separation off the dribble like this towards a set protection within the halfcourt.
Banchero’s capacity to create benefits at his measurement is what separates him from his friends on this draft class. That’s an exquisite match with what Orlando’s roster wants.
The Magic are nonetheless looking for a major creator
The Magic have lots of good items proper now. What they’re lacking is a star creator to assist slot everybody into applicable roles and maximize their strengths. Listed here are the core items on Orlando’s roster for the time being:
- G Jalen Suggs: The 6’4 combo guard who does somewhat little bit of every part. Suggs tasks as an excellent secondary pick-and-roll possibility, a transition killer, a feisty point-of-all assault defender, and he ought to be round a league-average three-point shooter subsequent 12 months (say, 35 %) after hitting solely 21 % of his threes this season. Suggs took 39 % of his photographs on the rim final season, a mark that ranked within the 88th percentile amongst combo guards, per Cleansing the Glass. Whereas that’s definitely spectacular, he feels extra consolation attacking defenses which might be already compromised fairly than being the principle man who creates benefits off the bounce.
- G Cole Anthony: Anthony simply turned 22 years previous, and is coming off an encouraging season in his second season within the NBA. The 6’2 guard is a greater shooter than his 33.7 % mark would point out, and he’s a very good athlete going to the rim. He additionally graded out in solely the forty second percentile as a pick-and-roll ball handler, and had some struggles ending. He’s one other participant who would profit from taking part in subsequent to a star who may set him up for simple photographs.
- F Franz Wagner: Final 12 months’s No. 8 total decide is a 6’9 wing who is nice at lots of issues fairly than being nice at something. He’s a reliable defender each on the perimeter and inside, confirmed some promise as a pick-and-roll ball handler and passer, and made 35 % of his threes. Each staff within the league covets massive wings with Wagner’s ability set. He could be the perfect creator on the roster proper now, nevertheless it feels overly bold to fit him in as a No. 1 possibility long-term.
- F/C Wendell Carter Jr.: Carter is a combo massive coming off a career-year in his fourth professional season. He’s equally sized to Banchero at 6’10, 270 kilos, however doesn’t create off the bounce like Paolo. As a substitute, Carter is generally an undersized heart with flashes of passing and taking pictures ability who can keep stable defensively and compete on the glass. He’s a pleasant participant, however you’re not passing on a possible lead creator due to him.
- C Mo Bamba: Bamba is a restricted free agent and will not be round subsequent season. His body is just like Holmgren’s with a 7’7 wingspan, and he hit 38 % of his threes this season, totally on spot-ups. Bamba’s ability set could be a pleasant complement to Banchero’s if Orlando does take him at No. 1.
You’ll be able to add Markelle Fultz, Chuma Okeke, and R.J. Hampton to the combination as effectively. All eight of these gamers talked about might be 24 years previous or youthful subsequent season. Orlando has hit on some good younger items within the draft, however all of them would look so a lot better taking part in subsequent to a go-to offensive possibility.
Paolo Banchero is each the perfect match for the Magic and finest total expertise within the 2022 NBA Draft
Right here’s a basic rule of thumb I attempt to keep on with: If an NBA staff doesn’t have a major creator, their greatest want is discovering one. Holmgren is an superior expertise who would instantly present an enormous enhance to Orlando’s protection, however he’s not creating straightforward offensive alternatives for himself and his teammates. Smith is an unreal shooter, however he’s at his finest when somebody units him up for his photographs. Smith’s greatest weak spot is scoring off the dribble and ending contained in the arc after he solely 43 % of his two-point discipline objectives at Auburn. Holmgren’s one-on-one scoring remains to be a query mark regardless of all of his strengths that contribute to profitable basketball.
The Magic will get an excellent participant in the event that they draft both, nevertheless it seems like they are going to nonetheless be in quest of their major creator if it occurs. In fact, it’s attainable Suggs or Wagner turns into that man. Anthony and Fultz may pop in that function, too. It simply feels somewhat too optimistic to assume any of the 4 can actually be the man for a franchise.
Banchero might be the man in the suitable setting. This can be a star transfer.
This can be a star transfer:
Paolo Banchero is at his finest when attacking off the catch. So good at manipulating that 2v1 with Williams and the opposing massive to his benefit. pic.twitter.com/KsSvBObWSU
— Itamar (@Itamar_17_10) March 25, 2022
This can be a star transfer, too:
Banchero isn’t an ideal participant. He’s not an incredible run-and-jump athlete. He solely made 33 % of his threes this 12 months, and his catch-and-shoot capacity from the NBA line stays a query mark. His lack of elite pace or eye-popping size limits his protection to round “common” — which makes him seemingly the worst defender of any potential top-3 alternative.
On the identical time, Banchero can create offense off the bounce in a manner Holmgren and Smith can’t dream of. He’s by far the perfect ball handler within the halfcourt, and by far the perfect reside dribble passer. He additionally has a superb mid-range scoring package deal, and a few good strikes within the publish.
The early reviews are that Orlando will chose between Smith and Holmgren, however not less than to me, Banchero’s ability set is precisely what the the Magic have been missing.